Amazon Banner

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Westport Area Attractions

An updated version of this site can be found here


June 29, 2000

Today I visited Murrisk Abbey which is at the base of Croagh Patrick.  It is a ruined abbey founded by the O'Malley family in 1456.  It's also the traditional starting point for pilgrims to begin the climb up Croagh Patrick.  For anyone who loves looking at these old abbeys and churches it has some interesting architectural features, including some human heads carved into the outside wall near the eastern window and some battlements amongst other features.  For those who enjoy visiting holy places, it was peaceful and serene.  I'm glad I decided to stop off.

Next I traveled  north toward Newport where I visited Burrrishoole Abbey (or Friary).  There was a lot of this abbey still standing.  I really enjoyed these two stops.  Both of these abbeys were built right on the bay, and are absolutely gorgeous settings.

After that I went up the road a bit to Carrigahooly Castle, where Grace O'Malley (Gráinne Ní Mháille) told her husband, "You are dismissed."  after filling all of his castles with her troops.  You are apparently allowed to go inside.  There is a house next to the castle where you are able to borrow the key, but sadly no one was there when I was.  The more castles I see, the more impressed I am with the O'Donovan castles.

Next I headed south to Louisburgh.  I visited the Gráinne O'Malley Interpretive Centre, but I only found it by driving all four streets in the town!  There is a small blue sign post at the crossroads in town.  The exhibition was pretty good (£2.50).

 On the way back to Westport, I stopped at Kilgeever Abbey (also a big pilgrimage site).  There isn't much of the abbey still standing, but I prayed at the holy well (Tobar Rí an Dhomhnaigh or Our Lord’s Well of the Sabbath).  Again I had some trouble finding it.   There is a signpost on the main road.  At the first left you should turn but the sign was missing!

After the abbeys, I returned to the hostel, and then off to the Octagon and Dunning's Cyberpub.  I love the outside tables, not just the computers!  I met a couple from California at Dunning's, we talked for a long time.  It was really great, peaceful day with beautiful weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment