Amazon Banner

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Summer at Oideas Gael in Glencolmcille

An updated version of this site can be found here


It turns out that it's about a one hour drive from Donegal to Glencolmcille.  It's a two lane road that is very windy at points and has the occasional tractor on it.  There are some really amazing views along the coast that made me wish I was a passenger instead of the driver.
I spent six weeks at Oideas Gael learning Irish.  This time was possibly the most enjoyable summer of my life.   I showed up with no Irish, literally the cúpla focal (a few words), and left being able to speak some Irish.
I began in the beginner class (level 1) and ended in Level 3 (sort of a low intermediate class).  The approach of the school is to teach through immersion and not worry about writing or grammar or any of the things that traditionally bog people down.  The teachers also focus on making the experience enjoyable (and not seem like school).
The majority of attendees are Irish, but there are also lots of Americans, Canadians and British that attend in addition to continental Europeans and I've even met Japanese people there.

UPDATED:
I have  attended classes at Oideas Gael seven times so far.  Most of my stays have been for extended periods of time (between four and eight weeks). This approach has both positives and drawbacks.
One of the obvious advantages being that you pick up the language much more quickly than if you only are there for one or two weeks.  For example, at the end of my first stay I could hold a simple conversation in Irish.  The other big positive of staying in the Glen for extended periods of time is that you feel comfortable and less like a visitor.  As for the drawbacks, I would say that there is only one.  I found that after three weeks or so I would often need a break.  Usually I would take a day off from class and get out of town.  Ardara and Killybegs are places that are nearby and easy to while away a day with plenty of lunch options and sea views.

No comments:

Post a Comment