Amazon Banner

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Arriving at the O'Donovan / Donovan Clan Gathering

An updated version of the sire can be found here

June 22, 2000
Well, as if I thought it possible for the trip to become more exciting...
We landed at Shannon Airport and customs was a breeze. I then went to the baggage claim where I had the privilege of hearing my name called on the PA. It seems my luggage never left Boston. So, I proceeded to the rental car desk, where I found out that I had to recheck the car every 28 days, so we'll see how that goes.
The driving (my first time on the left side) went absolutely wonderfully for 45 minutes,  until I needed to use reverse. So, I stopped and knocked on a door (at 9 AM) and a nice man told me about the secret button.
So, off I was, proud of how well I was doing. That is until I entered a village south of Limerick City where I lost my passenger side mirror to a lady's car door. From that point on the drive was okay.
When I got to Rosscarbery the ocean looked amazing. I'm staying at the Celtic Ross Hotel, so I ate at the pub here, took a nap and went to the opening reception in Skibbereen. The people are great, I managed to have a good time.

Note on my accommodation: The Celtic Ross served it's purpose for me, but I would be unlikely to stay again. The view is amazing with the ocean literally out the front door, but I think that it would be easy to find a B&B for less money, just as nice a room and a better breakfast.




No comments:

Post a Comment