Amazon Banner

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lough Gur to Clare

An updated version of this site can be found here


June 27, 2000


This morning I went to Lough Gur.  It was beautiful!  The weather has been gorgeous ever since I arrived, surely this means God is a Donovan.  After I left Lough Gur (I didn't see everything, just one side of the lough) I went to Dysert O'Dea.  Again I didn't look at everything, but it was a good stop.  Then I went into town (Corofin) and ate at the Corofin Arms.  I can't believe I didn't make any wrong turns.  After lunch I had tea at my B&B (Killeen House).  This place is nice, Mom would like it.  After my tea I took a nap, those Donovans wore me out!  It's nice to have some time to reorganize before I stay at hostels the next three nights.  What a great country.  Erin go bragh.

On the left is a stone cross on a grave at the New Church at Lough Gur






This is a Wedge Tomb at Lough Gur






Dysert O'Dea is a great one stop tourist attraction.  There is a tower house style castle that is in good condition.  Inside the castle is a tea room and an exhibition of the Irish War for Independence and Civil War.  Also on the grounds is the remains of an abbey with a very unique High Cross and round tower.  St. Tola's cross (to the right), shows the Crucifixion and Daniel in the lion's den as well as a likeness believed to be St. Tola himself.  This used to be a very busy pilgrimage site until a previous land owner tired of the traffic and glued what was, until then, a removable head of Christ permanently into the cross.


Note to Dad: Passed through Newmarket on Fergus without slowing down.
Note to self:  Tell Will that I left my shampoo and conditioner at the first place I stayed (The Celtic Ross)

No comments:

Post a Comment