Amazon Banner

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

O'Donovan / Donovan Clan Gathering 2000

There is an updated version of this site here.


On a family trip to Ireland in the summer of 1999 I saw something that caught my eye. In one of the Tourist Offices I spotted a flyer about a Worldwide Clan Gathering for the O'Donovan/Donovan clan. This intrigued me and as soon as I returned home, I began making my plans to attend. At the ripe age of 25, I set out on my own to experience life from that vantage point. The following entries are from my journal.

June 21, 2000
Travel with me is never boring. After spending days, even months getting everything squared away I left for the airport. This brings me to the best reason one should have one's mother drive them to the airport.
Upon arriving at the Dulles Airport gate for United Airlines, the nice lady said, "How many bags will you be checking Mr. Donovan?" rapidly followed by "Oh, your flight is canceled." We then came to the realization that I could try to fly standby 1/2 an hour later or drive to National Airport in rush hour for a flight 1 1/2 hours later, but with a ticket. I chose the ticket.
I arrived at the gate precisely one minute before boarding. Finally, all sweat covered, I could relax. For the next hour I did, then we landed in Boston. I was now left with 20 minutes to catch the bus to my terminal and check in. As I sprinted into the abandoned Aer Lingus ticket desk, the most adorable young lady said "Oh, that flight is closed!", then turned her head and said, "Wait! We have one more!"
So, now me and this Irish chick are both running to the gate. I arrive again 1 minute before they shut the door. I was planning on a two-hour layover in Boston too. At least I'm on the plane. I wonder what will go wrong when we land!


This is the information that was sent to those who expressed interest in attending:








No comments:

Post a Comment