Amazon Banner

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day 3 - Donovan Clan Gathering Lectures

An updated version of this site can be found here


June 23, 2000
This morning one of the lecturers, Nora Hickey, needed a ride to Skibbereen; so I took her with me. I found perverse pleasure in driving a local with my one mirror car.
The first speaker I heard was Kenneth Nicholls from University College Corkspeaking on Medieval Ireland. The second was named Cathal Carmel? (I am unsure of the surname) speaking on "Why People left Ireland after 1850". The 3rd speaker was Father Patrick Hickey who spoke on the Famine in west Cork.
The first three lectures were good. I ate lunch with Nora, it was great. She's a very interesting lady. She told me that she didn't think that it would be difficult for me to find work in Ireland because there is a high turnover rate for restaurant staff.
After lunch I attended three geneology lectures by:
Brian Donovan, he spoke about tracing the Donovans before 1700
Pat O'Malley who spoke on researching a specific group of Donovans
Nora Hickey spoke on "Are you looking for the right surname in the the right location?

I need to read:
Surnames of Ireland
(as an Introduction) - by MacLysaght and
Surnames of Ireland by Robert Matheson

No comments:

Post a Comment